Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unzip Multiple Zipfile's

Beans

Re: Unzip Multiple Zipfile's

So Krusader doesn't open archives ? That was always the big feature for me in midnight commander (mc, a dual pane file manager in the terminal). It treats archives as if they were directories - just hit enter on an archive and you can work with it's content.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, as in Midnight Commander and Double Commander (and Total Commander in Windows) Krusader does open archives. By a click. The point I was trying to make (sorry to add after closed thread) was that it is a powerful tool for managing workflows and "useractions" in toolbar offers even more options to customise workflows (e.g. run meld operations between panels, or backup). I just prefer UI rather than bash scripting. It is a personal choice and in Linux I know I am in the minority. Krusader is my "command hub". Another ingenious tool in my toolbox is CherryTree which can contain rich text, images and importantly code blocks (in multiple languages - Bash, Python .. whatever .. your choice). This little tool has undocumented uses. Any number of operations can be added to code box (like Jupyter notebooks) -- such as rdiff-backup scripts, or pandoc. But I digress.

Beans

BTW, for future reference: On UNIX systems, the way to execute a command on several files, without resorting to an error prone loop script, is with the find command.

Find can exec a command on each file it finds. Read the man page or google “linux bash find” for examples. It is the easiest way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Another workflow tip
    I have Recoll installed.
    I index every file in the desktop (first time takes some time, be patient).
    Thereafter update index daily. File > Update
    Now if I want to look for any MIME types (extensions such as zip) I run this query. ext:zip (list all extensions *.zip). Other filters can be added to query. Hover cursor over query field to view cheat sheet.
    Click on any *.zip filtered in Recoll GUI and there are various options to manage actions thereafter.
    Recoll is another useful tool for the toolbox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    BTW, for future reference: On UNIX systems, the way to execute a command on several files, without resorting to an error prone loop script, is with the find command.

Find can exec a command on each file it finds. Read the man page or google “linux bash find” for examples. It is the easiest way.
    find and xargs

The manpages for both these commands are extensive, but sorta abstract. Google for Top 50 find examples - to get some concrete examples. xargs has some implied inputs based on the input list.

Both tools are handy and have lots of options. We just need to remember they are there and available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12